Sunday, May 12, 2013

Jumping on the Green Smoothie Band Wagon


I resisted the whole Green Smoothie revolution for a long time. Likely it was the dietitian in me thinking, "Don't drink your calories. Eat real food." But recently I thought I shouldn't knock it until I tried it. Most recipes were so complicated, contained too many ingredients, or had banana added as sweetner (and I only like my bananas when they're barely yellow). So I invented my own that wouldn't cost a lot to make and tasted great. I honestly feel amazing after drinking these! And with only 85 calories for a huge glass, I don't need to worry about drinking my calories. Plus, it is a great source of Vitamin A, Beta Carotene and Vitamin K. It's like having a side salad at breakfast. And ginger root is showing great promise as an anti-inflammatory, tastes great and may help with immune function. I can't get my kids to drink these smoothies just yet, but we'll work on that. They watch me drink mine so I'm pretty sure they'll come around! I think when they can add fresh berries to it they may be more into it. And if my strawberries are in full bloom, I'm guessing they'll be at the Farmer's Market in a couple of weeks!
 
Kelly's Green Smoothie Recipe
1 cup greens, kale or spinach work well ($4 at the Farmer's Market will last all week!)
1 apple, cored and quartered
1 inch peeled ginger root
 
Add water as needed. Blend on high until smooth. Add ice, blend again. If you want to be fancy, add a teaspoon of chlorella or spirulina.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love green smoothies! I also add celery and chia seeds to mine (if I have them, or whatever happens to be in the fridge) I have never tried adding ginger though, so that will be my next experiment.

    ReplyDelete