Thursday, March 28, 2013

Time to start blogging! I'm starting on the topic of new beginnings, since this is a new website, for my new business, in my new home! I'm thrilled to be living in the beautiful sunny Okanagan, where spring is actually a season. While my family and friends in Winnipeg are still under snow, spring has arrived here and my past 3 orders from Urban Harvest (the organic delivery service I've come to know and love here in Kelowna- check them out www.urbanharvest.ca) have included local cold weather greens and BC grown cucumbers! The greens are Mache or "Corn Salad" and this is an amazingly delicious salad green I wish I'd discovered sooner. We're chopping it up and serving it with a light vinaigrette (vinegar, oil, a touch of sweetner like agave or maple syrup), and we're loving it! Mache is rich in Vitamin C, beta carotene, vitamin B6, folic acid, and vitamin E, as well as potassium and iron. It is also a source of omega-3 fats, with a 4 oz serving containing 250mg. Seems to be an undiscovered "superfood" right in our backyard. I also just learned you can plant it in the fall and it will overwinter to greet you in the spring. I do plan to try that, we just built a couple of garden boxes and I'm looking forward to gardening this year! More on that in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment