Monday, July 15, 2013

A healthy bar

It has been a busy week! We had my parents and neice and nephew visiting from Winnipeg. And my brother/client was here briefly before heading to Oregon to run the Mount Hood 50, Ultra event. It's a 50 mile race. He stuck to the pre-race carb loading plan i developed and felt strong during his event.

My week of training has been nothing in comparison! But I still feel like I'm training! My "easy" run for the week was on the flat lakeside in Peachland. I pushed my heavy 4 year old, while my speedy 6 year old biked ahead! After, we played at the playground and had a nice dip in the clear waters!

My "magic mile" was on a makeshift track at the Boys and Girls Club soccer pitch. Bumpy and not quite 400 metres around, it wasn't the fastest I've ever run! I warmed up with my brother, and my parents were here to babysit, so that was nice.

Sunday's long run was 800m repeats. I like it, just need to make the workout a little longer to get more miles in. I finished with a swim, and I can't get enough of that.

Again, all my workouts were an hour or less. I packed a recovery smoothie for after the Peachland run, only because I knew I wouldn't be anywhere near a kitchen afterwards. Otherwise, no special nutrition was required this week. Particularly because company for me means coffee stops and second breakfasts!

Here's a great bar I developed. Great pre/post workout, healthy and delicious.

Kelly's Healthy Bars:

1 cup chocolate chips, melted
1 cup dates, soaked overnight and pureed with about 1/4 cup of the soak water
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped pecans (or cashews, or more pumpkin seeds or whatever!)

Melt chocolate chips, add date puree and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Spread in a 9x9 parchment lined pan and refridgerate for an hour or more before cutting into squares.




No comments:

Post a Comment