Sunday, April 21, 2013

Everything Coming Up Balls

I'm not sure if it's just the circles (and websites) I run in, but lately it seems everywhere I look there is a new recipe for a healthy ball. This must not be entirely a new thing- the 1986 edition of "The Well Fed Backpacker" has one of my favourite ball recipes of all time. This book was first published in 1976 and has a lot of other great information for people on epic hikes. I have found, as a mother, that epic trips to the playground with two hungry, growing boys, also lends itself to such nutrient rich recipes!

Molasses Marbles:

Mix Together: 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3/4 cup instant dry milk, 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ.

Roll into small balls (recipe makes about 2 dozen) and then roll in chopped nuts, sesame seeds, coconut or sunflower seeds.

It lends itself to all sorts of variations. I have made it with baby cereal or soy milk powder in place of the dry milk powder. You could use protein powder too. I use blackstrap molasses, so my kids get extra iron and calcium. I've added cinnamon and ginger. You could roll in cocoa powder if you don't mind messy fingers. Use almond butter or pumpkin seed butter for allergies. I could go on and on!!

Each ball has 3g of protein and is under 80 calories (79 to be exact!)

No comments:

Post a Comment